Wednesday, November 03, 2010

As I follow Christ
Why preach unless you feel you have something good to say of God? Then, if you have something good to say of God, could you then not say, “Follow me as I follow Christ”? If you cannot say this, then you cannot preach. Preaching is providing something for listeners to follow. And we preach as we are lead of the Spirit. We preach for the edification of the people and the conversion of souls. If this is our aim, then as we preach, we can say “Follow me as I follow Christ.” I don’t think you have to “have it all together” in order to say thus. Paul sure didn’t think he deserved to preach. But he could still say “follow me as I follow Christ.” And I think only the weakest and humblest can speak thus. It does not say much about ourselves. It says much about our Christ. It does not mean we think much of our selves or our “spirituality.” Rather it means we think much of the power of Christ and the Spirit that He has left with us. And this is not a proud statement. The nature of this is founded in an adoration of God. “As I follow Christ” implies that the power within me is not my own. It implies that I know that I am still in need of Christ’s leadership, and that I know I haven’t got it all together. Thus, this statement cannot be made by those who “have it all together.” Truly, no man or woman does. Otherwise they cease to exist under grace.

No comments: